Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Osprey Talon 22

Well this is my first product review, don't expect anything to technical just my thoughts on the use of this pack over the last year. First off I have to say over all I am very happy with the pack, I use it mostly for my commute to work by bike and a couple day hikes and a couple epic bike rides. Typical contents are gloves, sunglasses, laptop & cords, camera bag, a t-shirt and underwear, a rain jacket, a headlamp and assorted other small bits, oh one other item a flask of Bourbon! All that and room to spare!

                                         Usually this amount of stuff in there!
The features:
One main compartment accessed by a two way zipper inside the main compartment is a small wallet sized pouch with a Velcro secured flap, one mesh pocket of approx. 2L with a one way zipper. There is a slot between the back panel and the gear areas for a hydration bladder, at the top of this slot is another wallet sized pouch with a Velcro flap. There are two small one way zippered pouches, one on each side of the hip belt and two small cell phone/gel packet sized pockets on the shoulder straps. On the outside of the main compartment is a large stretch pocket.On each side of the main bag is a stretch pocket sized just right for a water bottle.

The bad:
There are only a couple small things that I find annoying about this pack one is that it did not come with a rain cover, pretty minor really, I bought one for $15. Still it would be nice if one was attached. Second is that I find the waist belt difficult to buckle and adjust with heavy gloves on again very minor but a possible area of improvement. The third and final thing is the mesh pocket hangs into the main compartment and when removing large items (like my laptop) they tend to catch a bit on it, again not realy a big deal but a possible area for improvement.

The Good:
The back "airscape" panel really does vent quite well, the shoulder and waist straps are very comfortable also venting very well. During this year of use I have not babied this pack and it has no visible signs of wear. I like that when accessing the main compartment I can see into the mesh bag to locate items. The small pouch in the hydration sleeve is a great place for your wallet and a flask!

Overall:
I love this pack! It is my go to bag for so many things from epic MTB rides and day hikes, to commuting and just kicking around. I would recommend it to my brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment